Mar 16, 2008

The Canterbury Hall

The Eastern side of Manchester Street between Gloucester and Worcester Streets, 1900.

Originally built as the Canterbury Hall to celebrate the province's 50th jubilee, the building was gutted by fire in 1917.

The Christchurch City Council bought and refurbished the building in 1920, retaining the Oamaru and Mount Somers stone and brick frontage and creating an interior space of more than 3000 sq metres over two floors and a basement.

A comprehensive history of the building, which opens in a new window, can be viewed at the Christchurch City Libraries web site

No comments: