This is the North-west corner of Colombo and Lichfield Streets in 1870.
Edward Reece (1834-1887) founded his Hardware business on this site in 1856, erecting new premises in brick and stone to the design of Samuel Charles Farr in 1870, with an extension in 1878.
The interior of Reece's Ironmongery in 1903
The building survived until 2006, when it was demolished by the proprieters of Ballantyne's variety store to make way for the current edifice.
Built before 1897 for James Howey (1856-1933), to the design of Collins and Harman, was the former City Buffet Private Hotel on the northwest corner of Colombo and Lichfield Streets. Modified beyond recognition, the facade of Edward Reece's Ironmongery can be seen to the Right in the 2001 photograph (above).