A rare photograph of the newly completed biological laboratory and observatory tower of the Canterbury College of the University of New Zealand about June, 1896.
The dome was originally constructed of canvas and wood. The observatory is the only part of the Arts Centre still owned by the University of Canterbury. Each year the Department of Physics and Astronomy appoints a student as the Townsend Observer. Public viewing is held during the months of the year when there is no daylight saving.